Powered by Blogger.

Monday 29 November 2010

The start is the hardest part

Have you ever wondered how long the greatest, and not so great writers and novelists looked at the blank page

 "Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed." - James Joyce, Ulysses


I wonder how long Joyce scratched his head before he came up with that, and the beauty is that you're catapulted into the story right away. If you are in terror of a blank page or  an empty blog here's a couple of techniques I use to unlock the  vast expanse of white A4

1: Just write anything; without thought of punctuation or full stops or sense, write for 5 minutes in a stream of conciousness and then relax and you will find that clear and coherent thoughts just bubble up. The stuff you've just tumbled out on paper - Freud might have a field day but don't even go there, just bin it.

2: Still stuck? Take a pen in the  hand that you  don't write with and copy a couple of lines from a book or a newspaper. The effort of making your "weak hand" do the work overtakes all other thought and when you finish your mind is clear and open to what ever you want to write.

Of course  a plan does help. When I sit down to write an ad campaign the first half an hour is the hardest work.
That's when you look at the product, decide what's great about it, what the benefits are (you always concentrate, not on the features, but the benefits) Then you apply a little creativity to communicate to the reader/listener what and how great it will be to get this duffel dangle,
      After that you've got a list of maybe ten ideas and it's just a case of writing them into fully formed pieces of copy. Like they say 1% inspiration  and 99% perspiration

13 comments:

  1. Hi Brian, enjoying the tips so far, and have just shared with some of my students.
    Good luck with the blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian,

    Your tips are great. I think we have all been there at one time or another scratching our heads wondering what to write about today. I know I have but usually I have something in mind already.

    But those are some great tips and might have to use them the next time that happens to me (knock on wood that it doesn't anytime soon).

    Thanks again,

    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brian,
    That stream of consciousness technique is a necessary part of my my morning routine. It's just cathartic for me to write without self imposed censorship. I never know what's going to show up on the page but many times something that lurking in my subconscious bubbles up to the surface. Journaling in this fashion is a great way to start the day even if you aren't trying to prime the pump for writing. Wish you the best.

    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brian!

    I love your idea of writing for a few minutes with your non-dominate hand. Only trouble is... I type everything, and yeah, I touch-type with all 10 fingers. :-)

    Maybe I should put the keyboard on the floor and try to type a few lines with my toes. lol.

    Kind regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blank page can definitely be a formidable foe. A lot of times the only way I can get kickstarted is by taking a short walk with a pen and pad. Seems to really get the creativity flowing. Great tips here, friend. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brian,

    Great tips dude. I am a big fan of mind maps. I often use colours and sketches to get the brain racing into creative mode.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I have that problem often, and stream of consciousness writing cures it every time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Brian-

    Great tips. I've spent plenty of time staring at a blank screen. It can be frustrating and once you get to that point its hopeless. You have to do something to get your mind moving again. I am going to give these tips a try next time I am stuck. Thanks, let me know if I can ever do anything to help you out.

    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here s a unstuckifier Ive picked up somewhere along the that works for me. When I cant write, I dont. If nothing is coming it means I have nothing to say. And the cure is to get out there and experience new things ...the "something to say" part will automagicly fix itself with new experiences.

    But that might be just me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Brian,
    I use the first tip all the time and writing without purpose sometimes can help a lot. Have you ever read Natalie Goldberg? She wrote "Writing Down the Bones" (among others) and that was the book that made me really believe in myself as a writer. Highly recommend if you haven't checked it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can so relate to this, even though I wrote three books, my final chapter, my work in progress this year, is hard to start. I used to be so negative and depressed, so much easier to live with that believe it or not now that I am well and happy it is hard for me to get started. thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Brian,

    Great tips there...

    I'm forever hitting blank page syndrome. :) I think I'd get rather frustrated trying the non-dominate hand method though as I'm worse than useless with that.

    Thanks for the tips, they are noted.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  13. Concentrate on the benefits, not on the features. I like that a lot. Thanks for sharing.

    I also like that left hand writing idea. Hadn't come across that before as a way to get the creative juices flowing.

    One thing I find helps as well is to do free association, let your mind freefall. This is kind of like what you suggest in your first point, except I try to make it as fun and as silly as possible.

    ReplyDelete

Who is...

I am Brian Mc Ardle a freelance copywriter and leading provider of writing services to marketing communications and sales departments.. What makes my service different is the time taken to understand, appreciate and refine your business message before writing. I then use this understanding to create crisp, compelling copy across the entire sales and marketing spectrum working with web and design partners to deliver; • Web sites and content • Radio commercials • Press releases • Corporate brochures • Sales copy • Opinion articles • Recruitment • Newsletters • Blogs